Thursday, April 30, 2020

TCC, Day 46: Video and Parks & Rec

My friend and colleague asked me to be her guest speaker for her school's morning assembly online program this week. I had to record a video about writing - why I write, tips for writing frequently, what to write about, etc. Today was the day it went live. I was honored she asked me, and I was so happy to talk to kids about writing (even if none of the kids were actually in the room and the ones who are at home may or may not watch it).

I put it off until the last minute because seeing myself on camera is not my favorite. Then I had to get it done, and I was tired and had had a super busy day at work (let it be noted that "at work" means "at the computer in my home office off my bedroom"). I made some notes, channeled my inner elementary principal, and went for it. Maybe I put on some lip gloss first? I don't remember. Preparation of my appearance was minimal.

After one take, I listened to it without watching too much because, again, seeing myself on camera is not my favorite. I liked what I had to say, so I didn't record it again. This was not about what I looked like but about talking to kids about writing.

Looking at it today, I have some pro tips. Primarily, if you have a 17 year old camera man he will not tell you that you should sit up straight so that it doesn't look like you're trying to create as many rolls as possible in your midsection. Also, dry shampoo doesn't look the same as actually washing your hair.

Trust me.

*insert clever transition here*

Right at this moment Trey and I are watching a salute to Parks and Rec, possibly the most hilarious television show of all time. Coming up next we'll watch the updated episode of how the characters are coping during quarantine. I am so excited about this I'm giddy!  I suppose it's the little things...

Best things about Park and Rec:
*Little Sebastian
*Ron Swanson
*Treat yo' self
*Rent-a-Swag
*Galentines Day
*The Knope-Wyatt Unity Quilt
*Evil April


I could go on and on and on. If you haven't watched this show, what are you doing reading this?  Stop it right now and go watch every episode and don't eat or sleep until you're done! 

Maybe that's excessive, but you should really watch it. It's a happy show with happy people who take care of each other. Even Jerry.

If nothing else good comes out of this quarantine we at least got one more episode.

The end.


No comments: