Wednesday, April 1, 2020

TCC, Day 17: Work from Home

I just checked the stats. As of today Brazos County has 63 cases and three deaths. We're sheltered in place through the end of the month. We're almost out of paper towels (there are none at HEB), and when I went to buy milk this evening they only had half gallons. Three weeks ago that may have seemed strange, but today it was perfectly normal.

Disclaimer: I am super grateful for work and my colleagues and the ability to contribute during this crazy time. The following is still true:

I always pictured people working from home like this:
* Wake up at a decent time feeling rested
* Drink coffee and review the tasks of the day
* Accomplish something significant
* Take a break to work out
* Accomplish something else significant
* Eat lunch outside on the patio
* Work all afternoon, but also take quick breaks to put a roast in the crock pot, throw a loaf of homemade bread in the oven, and fold some laundry
* Eat dinner and stop working

Here's what it really looks like so far:
* Wake up early
* Prep for any meetings today
* Make a list of what to accomplish today
* Have meetings
* Read guidance
* Read policy
* Draft a plan
* Read new guidance
* Have my kids done any school work today? I should ask them.
* Draft two plans for something else because who knows what might happen
* Meeting
* Return phone calls
* Crap. I forgot to eat all day. I might pass out while on a Zoom call and then someone will have to call 911 only they don't know my address and my kids are in my house and they won't even notice until the paramedics knock down the door.
* Meeting
* Listen to press conference while working on long term project
* When do I stop working? I should finish one more thing.
* Did I get anything finished today?
* Must. Stop. Looking. At. Screen.
* Day over

I'm WAY behind on grad school (which was already online so is largely unchanged in its expectations). Tomorrow's plan includes getting up earlier to get caught up on that before my work day starts. We shall see if that actually works.

By the time we get good at this working at home thing it will be time to go back to working at work. And that will be just fine.

The end.




No comments: