Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Where Was Jesus Born?

December 24, 2007 - Monday

We're sitting together in the Christmas Eve service at church. Our church has a service at 5:00 pm for the children, and it's always packed and loud because it's full of kids. Well, we're sitting on the back row - Keaton in Trey's lap and Tucker between us. For the scripture reading, they show the video clip from Charlie Brown Christmas where Linus reads the story of Jesus's birth.

Tucker is starting to read (he's not even five and I'm very proud about this), so while Linus is reading the scripture, Tucker notices "Luke" in the bulletin and asks why it says "Luke."

I lean over to Tucker and tell him, "That's the scripture reading from the Bible. Linus is reading the scripture about Jesus's birth."

Tucker says (mischief in his eyes because we're talking in church), "What? Luke is in the Bible?"

I explain further, "Yes. Linus is reading the story of Jesus's birth from the Bible. Luke is a book in the Bible, and Linus is reading about Jesus's birth in Luke."

I'm thinking, "He's a smart kid. How much clearer can I be?"

Tucker flashes me a smile, "But Jesus was born in Bethlehem - not Luke."

...and I lose again.

No comments: