Tuesday, May 27, 2008

One Random Weekend

April 6, 2008 - Sunday

Just when I think life can’t get any better, I have a weekend like this. We went to Tucker’s soccer practice Friday night, and then he went with his Papa to an Aggie baseball game and the remaining 3 of us had some delicious Mexican food.

Saturday morning we got up, went to Tuck’s soccer game (he’s a BEAST, by the way), and then picked up some rock. ..

Yep. Rock. The entire bed of the truck was full. I wanted to put it in one of my beds in the backyard so I can just spray it with roundup. HA! Take that cursed weeds! You’ll never beat me now!!!

Okay, so then we spent about the next 6 hours working in the yard. Tucker and I hauled rocks. Shovel them from the truck to the wheelbarrow. Wheel it around to the back. Dump the wheelbarrow. Repeat. Then repeat again. About 40 billion times.

It was surprisingly wonderful. I think I hauled about one ton of bull rock (according to the all-knowledgeable infoweb). It was one of those moments where I thought I might pass out, but I knew I had to keep going. I wanted to see how far I could push myself. And I finished! That’s right - at almost 31 I can still work my butt off.
I guess if I ever get fired from teaching I can get a job landscaping.

While Tucker I did that, Trey and Keaton worked on the front yard. It was in sad shape, but now it looks awesome! We should win the yard of the month award. In fact, maybe I’ll make us a sign and put it in the yard. Hehehehe...won’t the neighbors be jealous! This is genius...I’m going to have to work on this plan some more.

Sunday we did laundry, took the boys for haircuts, and picked up all of the stuff out in our living room about 100 times. We put the boys to bed, and then (you’re not going to believe this) we watched a MOVIE!

That’s right! A real, full-length movie - Dan in Real Life. It was great! Entertaining, sweet, happy ending. We loved it - so you should watch it.

Why is yard work and a movie significant enough for me to write down? Good question. Hmmmm....well, because it’s so....so...ordinary. Yet, it might be one of the best weekends of my life. Strange, huh? Not really. This is why I write this. Life is about living every moment with joy. Finding blessings in the every day. Honestly, this weekend with my family was extraordinary. I write this down because I want to remember. When things are tedious and everyone’s in a bad mood in the Hickman house, I want to remember that having each other is a gift from God - even when we’re grouchy - and I want to approach life with a joyful heart.

Other random things I want to remember, and a little something for those of you who read this blog because my kids are the funny ones...

When Tucker got out of the bath the other night, he put on his Rocky Balboa boxing robe. Why? Because he didn’t want to walk through the house "nuded." That means nekkid, in case you’re not familiar with the word.

When I told Keaton that my coffee was too hot and that it will burn him (he LOVES coffee so I always have to save some for him), he replied, "No it willn’t." An obvious contraction of the words "will" and "not." Why do we say "won’t"? "Willn’t" is quite clearly correct. Hmmm...never thought of that before, have you?

And finally, as I was coaxing Tucker into brushing his teeth, I held up two tubes of toothpaste and asked, "Which will it be?" After a moment, he gave me that Tucker look, you know the one - twinkle in his eye because he’s about to get me - and he said, "Well, Mom, America voted, and it’s going to be that one." Yes, we love American Idol.

No comments: