Thursday, December 4, 2014

Advent: Day 4

Last year we started a new tradition in our family. I posted about it here, but the short of it is that we have an Advent wreath and candles on our dining table, and each week we read a devotional and scripture and pray together as a family. It was all Keaton's idea, and he's the one who made sure we put it all back out this year. We did this week's reading tonight. The scripture was Isiah 9:2 and 6:

"The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the shadow of death a light has dawned...For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."

The devotional was about preparing for the coming Christ. Specifically, it called us to "make room" for Jesus in our family during this holiday season. We often hear about making room for Jesus in our hearts and lives, but it struck me that this particular devotional spoke of making room in our family.

It seems like a bland understatement that my family is important to me. I talk to my mom almost every day, my sister is, well, like a sister to me, my dad is still my hero. I only have one grandparent living (she's a feisty one), and I think of my other grandparents every day, especially at this time of year. They were the perfect grandparents for me. I'm also blessed with a mother and father-in-law, brothers-in-law, sister-in-law, and countless nieces and nephews. I would say that both my family and Trey's border cult-like closeness sometimes.

Of course there's also my husband and my boys. They really are the best part of me. I won't go on about it because I could never say enough to do justice. I have to also include the family I chose as best friends. I have, as an adult, been lucky enough to meet the most amazing women and form bonds with them that will carry on until until we're all old and cranky together.

So where does Jesus fit in these families? Especially during Advent, have I made a point to make room for Jesus in these relationships? I hope I can be more intentional about it. That Jesus will be reflected in the way I treat those closest to me because he's part of the group.

My prayer tonight is for families. May we all find ways to show how much we cherish our families and avoid the temptation to give them our leftovers after all other obligations are fulfilled. May we be intentional about being Christ-like in those relationships, "making room" for Him. I especially pray for those families who are struggling and those individuals who feel alone, without someone to call family. Show those hurting people to us so that we can reflect Jesus to them during this holiday season. Amen.


No comments: