Thursday, December 11, 2014

Advent: Day 10

So all this was done that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the Lord through the prophet, saying: "Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel," which is translated, "God with us." Matthew 1:22-23

When it comes up in Sunday school or other conversations I often contend that it is more difficult to draw close to God when things are going great than when things are going terribly. I think about times when I was scared or worried or truly afraid, and it is at those times that I find it very easy to pray, to ask God's intervention and comfort. Being faced with loved ones' illnesses or similar tragedies leaves me with no other place to turn. In those times I find it easy to give up control and let God take over.

Easy for me to say, I guess. My life has not been marred by great tragedy. I could make a list of all the bad things my family and I have had to endure, but it wouldn't matter. I guess I may read too much to consider my own difficulties tragedies because I can always think of something ten times worse that I didn't have to go through. Overall, I have lived a privileged, blessed, happy life.

But God didn't say he'd be with us only when we think we really need him. God is with us. Period. I remember Sunday school lessons from when I was a kid when the teacher asked us to think about how we would behave if we remembered that God is always there. It kind of scared me then because I figured I would be in big trouble!

My prayer today (my first one because this is yesterday's post) is that I will seek God even when things are moving along just like I think they should. That I won't wait for trouble, major or minor, to call upon Him for guidance. I pray that those who are going through a difficult time today will be comforted because God is with us, not matter what.




No comments: