Thursday, December 18, 2014

Advent: Day 17

I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world. John 16:33

I kind of avoid the news. It's usually depressing and sensationalized, and if there's something I need to know then Trey usually tells me. Local news is an exception. I also recently starting following NPR on facebook, and I find that the news they post is not all negative, is usually thought-provoking, and I can choose what stories I want to read because the headlines are quite descriptive.


The murder of 145 people in a Pakistani school has, of course, been in the news this week, and it's troubled me more than the average news story. It's a complete disregard for one of the most fundamental institutions -- education -- and for all human life. It's not politics or religion or anger. It's evil. 


(For what it's worth, I have the privilege of knowing many Muslims, and my opinion is that the Taliban is no more Muslim than Westboro Baptist Church is Christian.)

While there is no answer to acts of extreme, evil violence in the world, there is comfort. The Prince of Peace has come. In Christ, there is peace. 


My prayer today is for all of the families across the world that suffered directly from these attacks. May they take comfort in God's peace and find a way to not live in fear. Amen.

No comments: