Monday, December 15, 2014

Advent: Day 15

O send out your light and your truth; let them lead me; let them bring me to your holy
hill and to your dwelling.  Psalm 43:3

I think I knew from a young age that the holidays can be a sad time for many people. My grandfather died when I was 4 1/2, around Christmas time. I remember another year or two (maybe the next year) that my mom told me sometimes the holidays were hard for my dad because he lost his dad around Christmas. I know that this time of year reminds many people of loss, of the person they wish they were celebrating with.

This psalm calls on the Lord to send the light to lead us. Isn't the birth of Christ the ultimate sending of the light? Because of Christmas, light comes even into our darkest moments. When it seems all is lost or that loneliness is taking over, we have hope that the Light is coming.

My prayer tonight is for those who are experiencing loneliness or loss this holiday season.  May they remember those they've lost in this world with laughter and happy memories, and may they find hope in their darkness through the Light that brings eternal life. Amen.

(Yes, I was singing "Send the Light" in head while writing this.)

No comments: