Monday, December 8, 2014

Advent: Day 8

Now the birth of Jesus Christ was as follows: After His mother Mary was betrothed to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Spirit. Matthew 1:18

What must it have been like to be Joseph? A decent guy, engaged, life looking like it's going to go just like he planned, and then this whole immaculate conception thing gets dropped on him. The angel says Mary is pregnant, but no worries because she was faithful to you. The child was conceived through the power of the Holy Spirit.

Um. What?

Talk about your life taking a crazy turn. So many things must have gone through Joseph's head. He stood to lose his reputation, his long-term life plan, the respect of the community. Everything. Well, not everything, but it must have seemed so.

God called him to step WAY out of his comfort zone to be a part of something great. It doesn't seem to me that he knew how this whole scenario was going to play out, but he had faith enough to step out anyway.

I'm having a hard time thinking of the last time I was called to step out of my comfort zone, which makes me think maybe I'm not listening well enough. I don't anticipate God telling me to pack up to head to Zimbabwe or anything, but I'm sure there's plenty of His work here that I could participate in if I were willing enough. Sometimes I say that a particular action or activity is not in my nature, but what I'm really saying is that it's not in my comfort zone. I'm hoping that today's reflection makes me ask myself "What needs to be done here?" instead of "What can I do to help without feeling awkward?" Sometimes awkward may be just where I need to be.

My prayer today is that I will listen to the still, small voice guiding me to situations where I can reflect the love of Christ. Give me the faith to step out of where I'm comfortable into where I'm needed. Amen.


No comments: