Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Advent: Day 16

He was in the world, and the world was made through Him, and the world did not know Him. He came to His own, and His own did not receive Him. John 1:10-11

Recently I re-tweeted an article about the "Cult of Busyness."  It really spoke to me because if you were to ask me how things are going I would probably say, "Great! Just busy!" If I said this to you, it would likely be followed by you saying how you're busy, too, or how it's such a busy time of year (no matter the time of year). Small talk at its finest. I thought I'd also blogged about it so I could find it again, but I didn't. Must have been too busy.

Think about the scene around the birth of Jesus. Tons of people had been summoned to Bethlehem. I'm guessing it was a pretty big inconvenience in what was probably a very busy time of year. The people who worked in Bethlehem probably felt like they were in College Station on game day. The travelers probably felt like they were stuck in government-induced traffic. It was busy.

Into that busyness, Jesus came. I wonder how many of the people noticed.

Which leaves me to question where I see Jesus in my busy life. Am I too busy to notice when small miracles happen? Do I look for Jesus in those around me and appreciate their willingness to minister to me?

Today I pray that I will say "no" to the cult of busy and "yes" to Christ. That I will live my days aware of the goodness around me. That I will notice, welcome, and be openly thankful for those who show Jesus to me.


No comments: