Monday, December 15, 2014

Advent: Day 14

May the God of steadfastness and encouragement grant you to live in harmony with
one another, in accordance with Christ Jesus, so that together you may with one voice
glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. –Romans 15:5-6

I love music. Perhaps irrationally so. There is a song in my head for every occasion, every memory. I'm not one of those people who remembers details of things that happened many years ago, but I can tell you who sang a particular song in church when I was nine. When a friend died in a car accident when I was about 20, I needed to know what CD she was listening to when she had the accident. My kids both have songs that they would call theirs because I sang them when they were babies (Red Dirt Road for Tucker, Sweet Baby James for Keaton, Tiny Dancer for both -- the Tim McGraw version). I really love music. Life would be boring without a soundtrack.

That's why this verse speaks to me. Paul made the connection between music and the church. He said that God brings us together so that we are "in harmony" and of "one voice." We should all work toward the ultimate goal of glorifying God in all we do, and we can do that better together. Isn't that why Jesus came? To bring glory to the Father? If He can make that great sacrifice, then surely we as the church can put aside any petty differences and work together for good, helping others, having contagious joy, lifting each other up. I am often reminded that our job as Christians is to "go out" into the world. But today I'm remembering that it's just as important to be there for each other.

My prayer is that we, the church, will seek out those within our midst who need love and support and be willing to provide it. That will we not get caught up in silly things, but keep our sights on things above, thus living in harmony with one another. That our witness would be one that glorifies God. Amen.

No comments: