Saturday, March 21, 2020

The Corona Chronicles, Day Six

Day six since our official social-distancing started. I'm counting day one as the first day we didn't have normal school/work (last Monday).

Cases in Brazos County as of today = 10

Kenny Rogers died. Not from the virus, but from age. He was a legend.

We slept in and then ordered to-go breakfast from Another Broken Egg. Keaton had chicken and waffles, and Trey and I split the granola, fruit, and quinoa power bowl and a biscuit and gravy. It was delicious. I'm going to be wanting that power bowl all of the time now.

We ventured out for a couple of errands that had been scheduled long ago. Even though we never grouped with more than ten people (actually probably not more than three), I still questioned whether or not I should go out. Excessive hand washing occurred at every turn, and we've talked all day about how many things you can not touch if you're really trying not to touch anything. At this point we have successfully minimized going out in public except for food and some outdoor time and work (daily for Trey, as needed for me).

Keaton and a friend rode a billion miles on their bikes today, successfully social distancing all the while. This evening the kids are working a 1,000 piece puzzle, baking a cake, and listening to Keaton's latest playlist creation. It's still raining and gross and blah outside.

Tomorrow I will attempt to buy groceries for the week.

None of this is exciting.

In other news, today I finished reading American Dirt by Jeanine Cummins. I can't say that I enjoyed it, but I'm glad I read it. It's a beautifully written, gripping novel about the experience of a migrant woman and her son. You all know I believe that through fiction we can step into some part of others' lives, and those literary experiences build empathy and understanding in a profound way. That's how I feel about this book. It's one thing when migrants are nameless, faceless people on the news. It's another when they have a story. It's sad, so maybe it's not the book you should read if social distancing makes you a little blue. But people should read it.



I just noticed that in that picture my thumbnail is painted. It's the only nail with polish still on it, and I can't seem to get it off. So one hand has a nail that is hanging on by a thread, and one hand has a single nail painted a faded brown color. That's not weird at all. (Y'all better get ready because if my busted nail falls off I'm definitely sharing pics so you can gross out with me.)

My new grad school class starts on Monday. It's all online, so that mean ol' corona isn't stopping us!  My next book will be Global Communication. Sounds fun, huh?

So that's it. It's Saturday and slow and quiet and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

The end.





No comments: