Sunday, March 29, 2020

TCC, Day 14: Finally Sewing

Today I went to the Farm Patch where I bought watermelon, cantaloupe, and flour. Flour is one of the things that has been very difficult to find in the grocery store. We weren't totally out, but we were getting close. And someone around here bakes when she's bored. 

Joe Diffie died today from corona. I have many favorite Joe Diffie songs, probably because the height of his popularity was when I was in high school. I especially love So Help Me Girl. That's a profound love song to a teenage girl. And Pickup Man. I rode around in a pickup or two listening to that song. Lots of good memories have Joe Diffie songs in them.

I've been talking a lot about getting out my sewing machine, but my home office is currently set up where I normally put it so I haven't done it. This morning I took the computers apart and piled them in the corner so I could do a little sewing.

My Aunt Debbie has a family member working with Covid patients who asked her about getting scrub caps. If I remember correctly, they are having to gear up to care for patients, and having their hair totally covered is required or at least preferable and more comfortable. Also, the caps can have buttons on them to attach masks so that their ears are raw from wearing masks all the time. 

Since I happen to have an insane amount of quilting scraps and leftover bias tape, I decided to try my hand at making them. I have to admit I was a little nervous to even try. I'm not the best seamstress in the world. I can sew straight lines on flat fabric and completely all over the place stitches on quilts. Anything else is pretty challenging. 

But I found this pattern on Etsy and decided to give it a go. And I did it!  I felt so accomplished!  

I've made seven total. They aren't perfect, but they do the job. Two of them seem a little big on my head, but I put them on Keaton's head - er - hair, and they fit fine. (His hair is extraordinarily large with no haircut in sight.) Hopefully big-headed or big-haired health care workers can use those, and I'll be a little more careful when I cut out fabric from here on out. It feels so good to have a project!





We watched church this morning. I also heard Thomas Rhett's "Remember You Young" when I went to pick up dinner, and I remembered that church is everywhere. Here's my favorite verse:


I hope when we get to heaven
He looks at us all like we're kids
Shameless and painless and perfect and ageless
Forgives all the wrong that we did

And no matter how much time goes by
I hope we never have to grow up
And he'll say, "For worse or for better, from now 'til forever
I'll always remember you young

As a final news item, Trey cleaned out the pantry. Y'all. He CLEANED OUT THE PANTRY! I cannot describe to you what a mess it was because I'm not sure you'd believe it. He found things we didn't know we had because they were lost in the abyss of the pantry. Apparently we are prepared for any emergency requiring cans of corn, food coloring, panko bread crumbs, or gelatin. And now we can even find it all. 

He definitely added some points to his Best Husband Ever application today. 

The end.

No comments: