Friday, March 20, 2020

The Corona Chronicles, Day Five


Real talk.

Today was kind of yucky. It's pouring outside. I worked from home and found myself getting stuck on some of the projects I have to work on. And while I have absolutely nowhere to go and every opportunity to get in my car and drive right away from my house, it feels like I'm stuck. I told Trey that we may have to make a trip to Lowe's this weekend for paint. Perhaps every room in our house needs a paint job (except the living room because it's been recently painted).

We're up to six confirmed cases in the Brazos Valley, and one of them was contracted locally. So there's that.

Because gatherings of more than ten people are discouraged or banned or frowned upon or something, there are major life events that cannot occur. Weddings and funerals - opposites in so many ways but nonetheless cancelled or not planned like one would really like. I don't have one of those in my realm of connection, but so many people do. It makes me sad.

Cancelled. I don't think I've ever heard or said that word so much in my whole life.

Soooooo...

(insert segue here)

It occurred to me today that it's easy to be supportive and nice to each other on day five of this business. My gut tells me that day ten will be a tiny bit harder for society at large and some of us as individuals. Since we really don't know when this will end, we need to decide every day that we will not complain about how someone else is doing their thing or feel sorry for ourselves. We've got this. 

We need reasons to smile and things to laugh about and such. We need silly facebook surveys and practical jokes and memes. The memes. Yall. They are killing me!  We send them through family texts all day and I love it! Also, I hope you follow El Arroyo and Ellen on Insta because they are happy entertainment.

Random things about today:
1) I'm cooking a pork rib roast for dinner. I've never cooked this cut of meat before, but it's what HEB had so it's what we're eating. I cooked it all afternoon in the sous vide, and I'm about to slather it with garlic and rosemary compound butter and finish it in the oven. It's either going to be fantastic or horrible. I suppose we'll see.

2) I cleaned out four junk drawers today. It seems that while I am not a person who likes clutter or keeps too many things, I apparently hoard cords.

*time out*
The oven beeped and I had to slather an entire stick of compound butter on a roast. I'll likely have butter under my fingernails for the foreseeable future even with the corona-hand-scrubbing we're all doing every half hour.
*time in*

Anyway, if you need to connect your Walkman to your car stereo in your 1975 Plymouth, hit me up. I've got a cord for that. And as of today it's neatly wound and placed in a labeled ziploc.

3) I've discovered something amazing. Trey went to the store sometime last week, and when they didn't have regular Oreos he bought Trolls Oreos. This is surprising because when it comes to Oreos the man is purist. Regular double stuffed only or you're doing it wrong.

But, pandemic. Desperate Oreo times.

Trolls Oreos have POP ROCKS in the them. POP ROCKS!!!  Like, from when we were little kids!  They are delightful!  You get to enjoy the Oreo and feel the popping candies and think you've just ridden your bike to the Mini Mart in Rice, Texas (maybe that's just me).

Anyway, delightful. Get you some.


Today's writing prompt from my fancy book is: Everyone has a special talent. What's your special skill?

My special skill is knowing the words to all of the country songs since ever. I know the old ones from my granddad, the less old ones from my mother, the not very old ones from my childhood, and the new ones because I'm still cool. If Jeopardy had a country music episode, I would win.

The end.

No comments: