Friday, March 27, 2020

TCC, Day 12: Giving and Concerts (unrelated)

Day twelve. I think it's Friday. I listened to absolutely no corona coverage today so I have no stats for you. I think I heard that as of yesterday the US had more cases than any other country or something like that. We also have a lot people, so I'm not sure that's an apples to apples comparison. The point is the same. Corona sucks.

Two completely unrelated topics today: giving and Concerts.

First, giving. We give regularly to our church. (We're not the million dollar donaters or anything, so cool your jets. There's no humble brag here.) We do our giving with a check in the offering plate. Trey and I made a conscious decision to keep doing this even though most giving has gone digital - you can now give by text or online or whatever. Our reasoning was that we want our kids to see us giving. We want them to grow up thinking that's just what you do.

I'm not sure we attended much church in February because we were at gymnastics meets every weekend, and then corona shut the world down. As a result, I had already accumulated several checks (again, not big checks or anything, so calm down). I sat down yesterday and made our contribution to our church online for maybe only the second or third time ever.

So, if you give regularly to any charitable organization and your income in unaffected, consider this your reminder to take a moment to find a way to keep giving.

Now, concerts.

I LOVE concerts. I'm currently listening to Robert Earl King sing live on the El Arroyo Instagram page as part of a fundraiser for restaurant employees who have lost income during this crisis. Before that, I was listening to my Texas Country playlist on Amazon Music. (It's fantastic. I know because I made it.)

William Clark Green's "Rose Queen" played. Then some Turnpike Troubadours. I started thinking about my all time favorite concerts.

Turnpike Troubadours at Gruene Hall
Willie Nelson at the Arena Theater in Houston
Elton John and his Red Piano at Caesar's Palace
Chicago and Little River Band at the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion
Pat Green at Shadow Canyon (those are some good memories)
Zac Brown Band at the HLSR

Then I remembered that for my birthday I asked Trey to get me tickets to see James Taylor in Houston this May. I guess that's cancelled now. James Taylor is currently at the top of my bucket list.

I'm sad I never saw George Jones.

I'm curious what concert is your favorite ever and who is on your bucket list to see. Feel free to share.

We got nothing else to do. ;)

The end.

4 comments:

- said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Teresa said...

I have so many favorite concerts, but I think I will have to go with Radiohead in Boston on my 40th birthday. We had GA (floor) tickets, and I didn't think we got there that early, but we were only about 15 feet from the stage. It was so fantastic.

I would also love to see James Taylor. Also Kate Bush. Neil Young. Beyonce.

E-Wok said...

Chis and I saw The Gaslight Anthem at HoB in Houston, and I loved every minute of that one.

Stormy Hickman said...

I'm not a huge Beyonce fan, but I think her concert would be epic.