Wednesday, August 27, 2008

A Twist on a Fairy Tale

Keaton's class is reading The Three Bears, The Three Little Pigs, and Little Red Riding Hood in their current unit. On the way home today, he was telling me all about Little Red Riding Hood, which they read today, complete with different voices for Red and the Big Bad Wolf. "Stay on the path," he warned in his creepiest voice. It was SO cute. And you know I loved my child loving stories!

When there was a lull in his retelling of the story, I asked him, "What did Little Red Riding Hood do when she found the wolf?"

He took a deep breath and explained, "Well, that man came. I mean, she went and got that man. And that man got his gun and then PAM! He killed that wolf! And the he got his knife and cut him open. Yeah! Isn't that funny?"

Now, the Brothers Grimm version does have something like this occurring at the end because the grandmother who had been swallowed whole jumps out of the wolf's belly. I'm certain that's what they're reading at school. However, Keaton didn't care too much about why the wolf was cut open.

And I might be a little afraid that he thought it was so funny. I think I see therapy in our future.

No comments: