Thursday, July 31, 2008

Summer Tidbits

It's summer. The Hickman boys and mom are faced with a lot of time on our hands, and you can only play Wii for so long without collapsing. I think the three of us are starting to get on each other's nerves a little, and I think we might all be driving Trey nuts. Here are some tidbits (both good and bad) from today.

Tucker and I were running errands, and I told him that we needed to go by AT&T because I needed them to fix a problem with my new phone. From the backseat Tucker offers a philosophical question, "Is Verizon better than AT&T?"

"I don't know. We have AT&T," is my baffled response.

"Well, I know that Alltel has America's largest wireless network," he informs me. I realized that sometimes your kids just come right on out and tell you when they're watching too much tv.

While the tv watching is making me feel guilty, a victory for our parentalness came later in the day. We've been working with the boys on their bullet-speed name shouting. If you have children who speak, you know what I'm talking about: "MOM.MOM.MOM.MOM.MOM.MOM.MOM.MOM.MOM.MOM.
MOM.MOM.MOM.MOM.MOM.MOM.MOM."

Tonight we were all four in the truck, and Trey and I were attempting to have a conversation. Keaton's sweet voice came from the back seat and said, "Acuse me, Mommy."

And then the angels sang! He actually (kind of) said excuse me! Yay us!

Then there was my super favorite time of day (read dripping sarcasm here), bedtime. It was chaos, there was jumping, there was laughing, and I finally had to put a stop to it all by shouting, "We're not saying "ducks" anymore! We are saying prayers!" That did create quiet for about two seconds - until Trey started laughing at the absurdity of it all.

I wonder what tomorrow will bring.

No comments: