Monday, July 28, 2008

Keaton is Whimsy

not whimsical. Whimsy. He unknowingly created a new definition of the word.

I've spent the last four days at yearbook camp. Luckily it was in College Station so I was able to come home each night instead of staying in the dorms. Camp was a lot of work for my students, but we accomplished so much for our 2009 book. I remembered why I love teaching - it's those kids. I'm tired, but it was great to spend a few days with them. I'm always amazed at what they're capable of.

Anyway, Saturday and Sunday it was just the boys while I was at camp. When I came home Saturday evening, Tucker met me at the door with a hug and kiss, then Trey came around the corner from our room just getting off the phone. It was my mom calling for me, but she decided to let me get settled and talk to me later since I was just walking in the door (thanks, Mom).

No Keaton.

"Where's Keaton?" I asked. Then I called out to him.

"I right here!" he responded from the kitchen.

So I made my way around the corner. Keaton was sitting on the bar with his feet on the counter (sadly, not unusual around here). As I surveyed the scene my mind raced. An open syrup bottle sat next to him. An open tub of spreadable butter. His hands held a spoon and the little plastic top that caps off the syrup spout. This was, well, odd.

"Look what I making, Mommy!" he cheerfully called out. "It's a butter dipper!"

"What, baby?" I didn't understand. There were no pancakes in sight. What was going on here?

He explained as he forced his extraordinarily long tongue into the butter-filled plastic cap and wiggled it around. "A butter dipper. See?"

Trey snatched Keaton's new invention, and I quickly learned what other Keaton escapades I had missed that day.

On one occasion he went into our bathroom - presumably to go potty - and just a few minutes later Trey heard a metal lid clang onto the ground. Turns out Keaton had face cream and various other skin care products opened, and he was smearing them all on the floor.

He also got out the scissors at least twice - once cutting a hole in Tucker's New Orleans Saints football pants and once cutting into minuscule pieces a picture of Trey's cousin that had previously resided on the refrigerator.

On a later occasion that same day, he came to Trey with hair greased into his very own original style created using some unknown substance (we never figured out what it was). Trey spanked him and then leaned his head over the sink to rinse out his hair with the sink sprayer. Keaton thought the sprayer was incredibly entertaining, and laughed at a fuming Trey the whole time.

This all occurred on Saturday, and on Sunday I returned to camp and Trey had to do it all over again. When I came home that day, I found a beaten down husband and a perfectly content Keaton sitting in his underwear with his face covered lipstick and what I hope was foundation. I didn't ask.

You see, Keaton had a great weekend. Maybe the best of his life. He got in big trouble, but no matter.

He was just having a little fun - with butter on top. ;)

No comments: