Sunday, October 25, 2009

I Never

My kids have horrible lives. They never get to do anything. Just spend a day or two with them and you'll feel so bad for them that you'll probably want to take them in and care for them because they are so mistreated here. Just a few pieces of evidence heard around the Hickman house today:

I never get to sit in the red chair!
I never get to sleep on the couch!
I never get the star blanket!
I never get to wear long pants!
I never get to pour in the milk!
I never get to watch Little Bill!
I never get to play Wii!

Sometimes I think I'd rather have them rattling off four letter words on their way home from punching kids at school than say "I never."

I think the parent version of the "I never" list is more like "I always" (or "we always" around here).

I always pick up your shoes.
I always put away all of your laundry.
I always make sure you have plenty to eat, and it's usually stuff you like.
I always pick you up from school.
I always take care of you when you're sick.
I always make sure you have lunch money.

Don't you feel bad for my kids? They may as well live on the street and fend for themselves with the care they get around here. Trey and I are just going to have to do better.

2 comments:

Randi said...

Stormy - Thank you so much for posting this tonight. I was preparing for our FCA lesson on thankfulness and then read this. What a blessing and a reminder to think that we ALL complain so much about what we DON'T have, but then to remember God's voice and hand in our lives and how much He does for us!! I shared this with our FCA kids.. hope that was okay :) It really wrapped up our lesson well and brought it home. Thank you for this blessing!!!

StormyHickman said...

Aww...thanks, Randi! Glad you could use it!