Thursday, October 8, 2009

Expectations

Part of being a good mom is fulfilling your children's expectations. Sometimes those expectations are simple, like "Mom, can you get me some more chocolate milk?" Other times, they are ridiculous, like "Mom, can we buy a box at the new Cowboys stadium? We get to keep it forever." Sometimes, however, we are faced with expectations that we're certain we, ourselves, forced our children to adopt.



For example, Keaton had a field trip yesterday with his preschool class. They planned to go to the library and the park to have a picnic lunch. Keaton was SO excited! He went on and on and on about it for days leading up to the trip.



On the way to school on the big day, we had this conversation:



Keaton: Mom, do you have anything to tell me?



Me: Ummm...no? Am I supposed to tell you something?



Keaton (thinks for a minute): Well, I'm not going to eat the sand at the park. They have sand at parks, you know.



That's when I realized what I was supposed to tell him. He needed his "Special Day Lecture." So I gave it to him:



Me: Okay, remember to listen to Ms. Monica and be a very good boy -- on your best behavior. Don't forget to remember everything so that you can tell me all about it.



Keaton (exasperated, with his "duh" voice): I will...



I can't believe I had forgotten our obligatory mom lecture and son frustration. I didn't realize Keaton and I were there yet with him being only four years old. He made it very clear, however, that these conversations are expected. I'll have to remember that.

1 comment:

Brigitte Schmidt said...

Stormy- I love reading your blog. I am a former teacher of Jackie's and somehow someone sent me your blog a year ago because they thought I would want to see your post about your Christmas card obsession. I too suffer from the desire to have the perfect card. As I was thinking about my 2009 card, I realized you never posted last year's card. Please post it. My curiosity is killing me. :)

Oh, and I love the church notes. I can only imagine what my two little boys would put.