Friday, July 3, 2009

Have I a Zealot?

Keaton's been a busy boy lately, and I'm amazed at how much he learns every day. It seems that his greatest interest has been religious in nature. Here are just a few a his shenanigans of late:

1) During vacation Bible school, he learned all about Moses. He loved Moses's stories so much that he went around for days making me call him Pharoah. If he really had my attention, I was to yell "Pharoah!" to which he would respond "LET MY PEOPLE GO!" Of course this was followed with a hand clap (his characteristic gesture) and an "oh, yeah."

2) He found two little silver boxes on the bookshelf in their room. One has his initials engraved and the other has Tucker's initials. He carried the boxes around the house for days giving us communion from them. He would gently open the first box and recite, "The body of Christ," and then open the second box and say, "The blood of Christ." He was never quite happy unless you said "Amen" after you were done.

I was quite troubled about whether I was letting him be openly sacrilegious or encouraging him to participate in church.

3) We went to my nephews' baptism at my parents' church. They are Baptists, so Brian and Colton were dunked in the baptistery after their professions of faith in Christ. We go to a Methodist church, so both of my boys were sprinkled when they were babies. They didn't seem to care one way or the other about this new kind of baptism, but we did try to explain the differences as well as possible.

About a week after my nephews' baptism, I was folding clothes. Here's the conversation that ensued:

Keaton: Brian and Colton got 'tized, right?
Me: They got baptised.
Keaton: Right. Baptised. I got baptised before, right?
Me: Yes, when you were a little baby. I'll find you a picture of it. Do you remember how you've seen Jerry baptise little babies at church? He did that to you when you were a very little baby.
Keaton (with his serious face on): Thanks be to God.

I may have a little preacher man on my hands here. I guess only time will tell.

1 comment:

donna said...

The child makes me laugh out loud!!!!!!!!!!!