Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Rainy Day and Addendum

First, the addendum.

In the previous post I went on and on about our little lipstick episode. Well, come to find out it wasn't lipstick after all. That's right. It was a stamp. A tiny little musical note stamp that my son was rubbing all over his lips before school each day.


Yet another piece of evidence that I'm such a great mom.


Now on with the new story...


Yesterday it was pouring when we came home from school, and the boys weren't even disappointed that they couldn't play baseball. Maybe because they decided they could play indoor baseball.


I watched with caution as they hauled catcher's gear, wiffle balls, and a plastic bat inside. But when the bases came inside, I decided it was time to say something. "You are not bringing those bases in the house," to be exact.


"Okay, Mom! We'll just use house bases. Do you know what those are? It's when you just find things that are already in the house and make bases out of them," Tucker offered. He listened without arguing and put the bases back in the garage. If you're thinking that was too easy, you're exactly right.


The next thing I knew there were white sheets of paper placed carefully in the living room to create a perfect baseball diamond. The tee was perched on home plate, and Tucker was taking some practice swings with a plastic bat.


"Tucker, you cannot bat in the house," I told him.


"It's okay, Mom. I brought in the plastic bat so the ball won't go very far," he explained.


"No. No batting in the house." I was firm on this point.


Minutes later I walked into the living room to see Tucker hit a homerun that bounced off the center field fence, or the back wall of the living room if you don't have much of an imagination. I demanded an explanation.


"It's okay, Mom. I decided to use the plastic bat and hit lefty. I can't hit very far when I bat lefty, so it's fine," Tucker explained again. I was starting to wonder if he really understood what "it's okay" means.


Being the mean ol' mom I am, I took the bat. It seemed to be the only way to stop the living room baseball game. Or so I thought.


I came back into the room to find them both in their underwear playing catch. Wait. Keaton was in his underwear because he was pitching. Tucker was playing catcher, so obviously he was wearing his underwear and full catcher's gear.

I would have taken a picture and posted it here, but I'd feel like a creeper publishing a picture of my six year old in his underwear. Instead you'll just have to live with the mental picture.

Luckily, I mean unfortunately, the catcher pegged the pitcher in his naked thigh with the ball, which caused the game to end.

All those baseball teams who have rainouts are just not creative enough.

No comments: