Thursday, March 12, 2009

Preschool Racial Issues

On Tuesday night, we were watching American Idol when Keaton looked at me and said, "God made white people."

I was initially stunned by this comment, mostly because I've never heard him use the words "white people." We've had several conversations about what color we are, and he has always been certain that we're a very light pink. In fact both boys described their African American friends as "brown" until recently. When Tucker learned that Obama was the first black president, he informed us all of this grievous error.

I never corrected the kids when they decide what color people are. Really, what would the point be? To indoctrinate them into society's definition of a particular race? Seems silly to me, especially since I teach Huck Finn in which we see without a doubt that racism is a learned behavior. Who cares if they think we're pink or white or brown or black? Not me. One of the things I love about Keaton's school is that he is growing up with kids and adults of all races and economic backgrounds. He's as used to diversity as you can be in Central Texas, and I'm thankful for that.

This incident has me freaking out. My kid thinks he's special because he's white! How did this happen? Where did I go wrong? Will his life be all downhill hill from here? Has he had a character defining moment at the tender age of three?

I think you can see my problem. Anyway, back to the story.

Keaton says, "God made white people."

After a moment, I respond, "Yes, baby, God made all people."

"No he didn't," Keaton replied, "He didn't make M--." (his favorite friend, a little boy who isn't white. I won't put his name here because he's not my kid and I don't want to put his name on the internet)

Now I'm shocked, astonished, appalled. Where on earth did he get this? First he says "white people" and then he acts like we're special or something because God made us but not other people. I don't know whether to spank him, chastise him, or read him Huck Finn. I'm lost. Finally, I ask, "Who told you that?"

"Miss Avian," he replies with confidence. You see, Miss Avian is his teacher and he loves her more than just about anything. In his eyes I am obviously an idiot for even questioning his declaration about God's creations because Miss Avian said it was true. This was the "conversation over, I win" statement in his mind. As a teacher, I can appreciate this, and I let it go.

Then today when I picked Keaton from school, I told Miss Avian my story. She shook her head and told me the real story (which I knew was definitely not the Keaton version). Apparently there's a little girl in his class who is white but wants to be brown like her dad. She's really distressed over this, so naturally the evil little children give her a hard time about it, saying "You're white" to her. Miss Avian didn't know why what God made came into Keaton's little announcement to me, but she figured the discussion of black and white came from the situation she'd been dealing with in his class.

While we talked, Keaton went to get his lunchbox. When he came back, she crouched down to look him right in the eye, held him by the shoulders, and said firmly, "Keaton, God made white people and black people and everyone. He's such a big God that he can do all of that. He loves me very much and he loves you very much, okay?"

"Okay!" Keaton replied. And all order was restored to his little three year old world.

I think when Keaton's a teenager and not listening to me about coming home on time or not getting tattoos until he's eighteen or not dating skanky girls, I'm going to have to go find Miss Avian.

5 comments:

Amy said...

Tatum loved Miss Avian! I too was not as 'smart' as her. Every question I answered was meet with the response "I'm gonna ask Miss Avian to see what she says."

Courtney S. said...

This reminds me of my preschool teacher Ms. Jackson, or "Miss Jack" as we called her. She may as well have been the all knowing in our eyes! Makes me wonder if I am subconsciously naming my child after her. It's amazing what an influence a teacher can be...thanks for sharing.

April said...

Totally LOLed (that is now a verb) at the image of Keaton with skanky girls.

Great story, as ALWAYS! When do I get to watch your kids again???? Soon, please!

donna said...

Staying out late...maybe. Tattoos...maybe. Skanky girls...NEVER!!

Lisa said...

I love your blog. You will have to check mine out as well! I have a racial issue post as well - a conversation I had with one of my sweet boys. I will have to share it with you sometime!

I love your posts! You are such a good writer and your family gives you plenty of good material. Happy Spring Break!