Tuesday, February 10, 2015

How He Loves Us

People. I have not blogged this year. I haven't written anything at all. That's pretty bad.

I have had many things in my head. In fact, I was certain I had blogged a couple of times in January, but it seems that the words in my head never made it out onto paper (or my monitor, as it were). I should do better. I think writing is good for the brain and good for the soul and good for educators.

Here's the reason I logged in here today:

On the way to work I was praying for some people - an overworked husband, a former student who may have lost her way, a very cranky Keaton, Tucker with fresh spacers in his teeth for braces next week, myself for the constant voice in my head saying "don't screw this up" following every thought - and I heard a song I've heard a million other times. I had no idea the name of the song or even who sings it, but I know all the words. Today they struck me differently than they had before.

Some research determined that the song is David Crowder's "How He Loves Us." Here's the lyric that caught my attention:
He is jealous for me,
Loves like a hurricane, I am a tree
Bending beneath the weight of His wind and mercy
When all of a sudden,
 I am unaware of these afflictions eclipsed by glory
And I realize just how beautiful You are
And how great Your affections are for me.

In recent months I've read a lot about restoration, be it in articles or things friends share. There's no underlying drama here - I don't feel like I'm in great need of being restored from something terrible - but I feel like we, as Christians, constantly either need to be restored to a place of greater faith or we need to be a vehicle for God's restoration to others ("vehicle" sounds too mechanical but I can't think of a better word).

I am a believer in the joy that comes from a relationship with Christ. I believe this joy is always attainable. It's always there. We should live prepared for it, always believing that something wonderful is about to happen because wonderful things happen all around us every day. Surrounded by God's presence we should stand amazed.

Back to the song. God loves us so much that if we let him, he will restore us into something better every day.  Our afflictions will be so eclipsed by God's glory that we will be unaware of them. We won't even notice them anymore. They will have no power over us. 

My current affliction is worry. I'm not sure what yours is, but I hope that today you become unaware of it. I hope, too, that we can be hurricanes of God's love to those who need to be restored. 

"Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and uphold me with a willing spirit." Psalm 51:12




No comments: