Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Book #5: Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah

My friend and boss recommended this book to me several times, but I never really took interest. Then, when it was at our church's garage sale for twenty five cents I decided I would give it a shot. The story is about a family with two very different daughters, a kind father, and a mysteriously distant mother. The father dies early in the book and leaves the sisters with the task of getting to know their mother so that they can understand her better and have a relationship with her. One moment at a time, the mother reveals her younger years to her children through fairy tales about a princess in Russia. The storyline is predictable but enjoyable. My only real complaint is that the ending was disappointing. It took the book from an interesting piece of historical fiction to a book you'd buy at a garage sale for a quarter.

I started book six of the year, The Red Tent by Anita Diamont. It is Christian fiction with a story centered around women's monthly visits to the red tent. It took me about two chapters to realize I just couldn't read a story about Bible women centered around their time of the month.  I started a John Grisham novel instead (also from the church garage sale, I might add).

No comments: