Thursday, June 21, 2012

Dancing

I can't dance.

Seriously, I can't do it. I have no rhythm.

Tonight, however, I danced my face off.

It's always funny to me how God brings people into our lives.

I met many of my very best friends at the New Teacher Induction Program in August of 2003. Chrissy, the principal at the time, was pretty insane to hire me in the first place because I had no student teaching or real in-the-classroom experience.  But she did it anyway.

I remember thinking how smart and qualified and cool all my of NTI group members were. I thought I would never fit in or be as great as them. I felt like the kid who got picked last for the team, even though I have absolutely no idea whether or not I was picked last.

In the last nine years, that group has become my closest friends. My "people" if you will. We've been through marriages and divorces. We've lost and gained personal children and student children and parents. We've gone to grad school and changed teaching fields and found things to be passionate about and learned that work isn't everything. We can be happy for each other and kindly critical of each other and we always support each other. Always. It sort of feels like we've grown up together.

Tonight we celebrated another of my people finding his perfect match - his happily ever after.

And I danced. And I didn't care it was bad and no one else did either.

Because they are my people.

No comments: