Wednesday, August 26, 2009

First Grade

Can you believe I have a first grader?



Since the first day of school (we're three days in), I have asked Tucker all about first grade. I ask him what books he's read, who his new friends are, if his teacher is nice, if they do any work yet, if the work is math or science or reading, and on and on and on.

Here's what I've learned:
1. They still have recess.
2. Lunch is earlier than in kindergarten. This is a good thing.
3. Tucker has drawn his face.

That's it. I'm not even exaggerating when I say that I had to take his responses to my incessant questioning and add words to make them complete sentences. I began to think he got a strange pleasure from torturing me with no details. Today I'm convinced this is true.
We were sitting down having dinner, and I was telling him how much I've missed him this week after spending the whole summer with him. I was trying to be cool, asking casual questions about his day, secretly hoping he would give me some nugget of what life in first grade is like for him. Finally, I said, "Do you like Mrs. Patton?"

Tucker: Yeah. She's nice. If you're tired, she lets you go into the office and lay down so you can sleep.
Me: Really? (I think I must have looked surprised because he kept going.)
Tucker: Yep! Anytime you're tired.
Me: Have you been to the office to lay down?
Tucker: Yeah! Today I went to the office and took a long nap. Actually, I slept like all day.
Me: You did not! Did you really go to the office and sleep because you were tired?
Tucker: Yep! I slept all day long.

My jaw dropped. I looked at Trey, and my eyes said "I can't believe he went to the office to sleep all day because he was tired! He is taking advantage! He will go to bed at 6:30 tonight if he doesn't have enough rest. This is unacceptable!"

Trey then responded to my look with, "I think he got you. He's pulling your leg."
I looked up to see Tucker who was now in the living room peeking at me from behind a chair, trying not to roll on the floor with laughter.

Rotten kid. Taking advantage of a poor, loving mother who just wants to know about first grade!

3 comments:

pre said...

Wow... That's fantastic work on Tucker's part!

BRIAN! said...

Then Tucker looked up to me and said, "Got 'em!" :)

StormyHickman said...

Yes, Brian. It reminded me of something you would do to me!