Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Eleven and Major Pettigrew's Last Stand

I haven't written about every book I've read this year, so I'm going to stop trying to count. I did read two good ones over the summer, though, that I wanted to share. Both were books I randomly picked up in Half Price Books with no prior knowledge of them.

First, Eleven by Mark Watson. This is the story of one man who leaves his entire life behind because he cannot get over something awful he was involved in. He moves to London, where he makes the same regular, everyday choices that you and I make all the time. However, the book follows the impact that one of his choices has on eleven other people in London. One tiny thing sets in motion life changing events for others. It was fascinating to me. Also, I read it in three days while on a beach in Mexico, so it's a quick, easy, sometimes funny, entertaining read.

Next, Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simpson. I bought this book when I couldn't find another one I was looking for. If you're a fan of Downton Abbey, I think you would enjoy this book as much as I did. The main characters maintain the highest level of decorum, even in romance, much like Downton.

It's the story of a widower who befriends the Muslim widow who runs the town shop. He is a man of honor and tradition, and she values the same things. He is an upper class white male, and she is considered "less than" in the community because of her religion and heritage, although everyone seems to treat her well. The book addresses elitist ideas and classism, but that's not really what it's mainly about. It's about a man in his 60s understanding that he is never finished learning and making decisions about what it is that he really values.  It was outstanding.

No comments: