Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Book #3: My Year with Eleanor by Noelle Hancock

I picked up this book because a couple of friends recommended it on facebook when it was $1.99 for the Kindle edition. It's the memoir of a blogger who is laid off from her job and decides to spend a year learning from Eleanor Roosevelt. I think it all started with an Eleanor quote: "Do one thing every day that scares you."

Turns out the author was afraid of lots of things - heights, sharks, public speaking, etc. The usual fear suspects. So she takes on some crazy adventures like skydiving, swimming with sharks, and doing stand up comedy. These parts of the story are funny and engaging.

But perhaps my favorite parts of the book are the times when she addresses the "every day" part of her plan. Simple tasks, like sending food back at a restaurant, helped her recognize (if not fully conquer) fears she never even realized before. She writes a lot about not letting fear hold you back.

As someone who really, really, seriously despises failure in any way, I identified with this part of the book. Historically speaking, if I don't think I'm going to be good at something I just choose not to do it. About three years ago when I changed jobs and stepped way out of my comfort zone, I realized I've been missing lots of fun stuff by being afraid of failure.

I started cooking. I'm pretty good at it now, but more than once we've suffered through a mediocre dinner or decided to toss dinner and head to Taco Bell instead. More often than before I choose sing and dance when the time is right and not worry about whether or not I look like a crazy person. I even decided to start quilting. I finished my first one this weekend and while it ain't great, it's mine and I'm proud!

While reading the book (and since) I've asked myself hundreds of times, "Am I not doing [whatever] because I'm afraid of doing it?" which is an eye opening question because sometimes the answer is yes. While I'm not timid (hello? have you met me?), I am not naturally a risk-taker. The book encouraged me to take more risks in life.

Hancock's year with Eleanor is a testimony about living bravely. It was easy and entertaining, etc., but it was more, too. And it's permanently placed in my head this scripture from I Timothy 1:7 "For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and love and a sound mind."


1 comment:

Shannon said...

So glad you enjoyed it!