Sunday, September 29, 2013

Book #22: The Energy Bus by John Gordon

I don't read self-helpy kind of books. For the most part, I end up getting frustrated with the author and his I-am-so-smart-that-I-can-fix-everyone-in-the-world attitude. Also, this frustration comes before I ever actually start a self-helpy book.

However, at work we were given a copy of The Energy Bus and asked to read it, so I did. I was pleasantly surprised by the way it's written. It's more of a self-help book in story clothing. A man is struggling with his personal and professional life and is mad at the world. His car breaks down, and he is forced to ride the bus to work. But this is no ordinary bus. It's --wait for it-- The Energy Bus driven by Joy herself. Over the course of the next few weeks, Joy and her passengers impart wisdom upon Bad Mood Guy (I don't remember his name), and as he applies their principles his entire life turns around.

I appreciate the idea that if you put out positivity, then you're a better person to be around. I also especially appreciated the part about energy vampires. Those people suck, and we should protect ourselves from them or try to influence them to be more positive.

Sidenote: "Positivity" is not a word that my blogger recognizes. I may have just made it up. Someone call Webster. 

No comments: