Saturday, July 20, 2013

Book(ish) #18: Some of the Bible

Last summer I had  grand epiphany about the things I get really excited about and how most of them aren't really related to Jesus (unless I try really hard to make an argument for these exciting things being related to faith, because if I try really hard I'm sure I can do it!).  So I signed up to have a daily Bible reading delivered to my email every day from Bible in a Year. As of July 8, 2013, I have read all of the New Testament, Psalms, and Proverbs. I'm counting it as one of my books for the year.

I found that I did not read my email every single day, but sometimes I would catch up and read several days at a time. There were many passages that were comfortable in their familiarity, but others when I thought "How have I never heard this before?" It wasn't a study of the Bible, but a cursory reading. Sometimes I felt like I was doing it just to say that I had done it, and sometimes I found passages to be moving and appropriate to whatever was happening on that day in my life. I suppose the Bible can do that!

I loved the convenience of having the emailed delivered to me every day because it sort of added it to my "to do" list and I would not let myself off the hook until I had read each passage. However, I did miss the opportunity to highlight and make notes that I would have had if I had used a paper or electronic copy of the text.

I need to make my way through the Old Testament (with the exception of Psalms and Proverbs), but the site I used previously doesn't have an option for that. If you have any suggestions, please pass them along!


No comments: