Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Book #15: Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel

Love, love, love this book!

It was originally published in monthly installments in a magazine (I think), so each chapter is actually one monthly installment of the novel. Each begins with a recipe for a traditionally prepared Mexican dish - quail in rose petal sauce, champandongo, Three Kings' Day Bread, etc. The food serves as a jumping off point for the wildly entertaining, hilarious story.

It's farcical and whimsical. A tall tale. A romance. The author often solves plot problems by making something unrealistic and fantastic happen, and I loved every minute of it. Emotions magically turn into things, and people are impacted physically by them. My personal favorite was the sister with the intense gas problems. If I say more I'll give it away. (I'm not a ten year old boy, but I have one!)

At the center of the love affairs and mean mother and repressed daughters, there is always the food.

Now that I'm finished with the book, I think I'm hungry.

No comments: